We're making another submission to the review, and we'd like our members' feedback.
Our preliminary submission provided a view from our team, about the statewide policy landscape, informed by principles endorsed by our management committee. In our next (and major) submission, we'd like to reflect more about how the NPA has affected our members, and services on the ground.
Use a post-it note to share your ideas
Using an online pinboard for each of the six review goals, please provide your ideas on a 'post it note' below.
Click on the blue + button on the right (top) of the screen to add a new post-it note.
NPA Review Goal 1
Assess the impact that the NPA has had on the delivery of efficient and effective legal assistance services, including consideration of:
- the appropriateness and utility of the objective and outcomes in supporting the delivery of legal assistance services
- whether the NPA promotes legal assistance services that are effective, efficient and appropriate and represent value for money
- whether the NPA has improved the targeting of legal assistance services to people facing disadvantage
- What impact has the 2015 reforms had on the legal assistance sector?
- To what extent has the NPA encouraged more effective and efficient service delivery practices?
- To what extent does the NPA support innovation in service delivery?
- To what extent do the NPA objective and outcomes remain relevant to the legal assistance landscape?
NPA Review Goal 2
Assess the implementation of collaborative service planning by the Parties, and the extent to which it is contributing to the objective and outcomes of the NPA
- How effective has collaborative service planning been in your area/region?
- What are the opportunities to improve collaborative service planning?
- What barriers, if any, prevent effective collaborative service planning?
NPA Review Goal 3
Assess the effectiveness, efficiency and appropriateness of current funding arrangements in meeting the objective and outcomes of the NPA
- To what extent is progress towards the NPA desired outcomes facilitated by the NPA funding allocation model?
- To what extent has the NPA facilitated good geographic coverage between states and nationally of legal assistance and associated outcomes?
Please note that the scope of the NPA Review includes assessment whether the NPA has been effective, efficient and appropriate in the context of the funding that is available, and whether NPA funding has enabled progress toward NPA objectives (as stated in section 1.3 of the NPA Review Discussion Paper). This assessment will not include consideration of whether the existing funding is sufficient to meet legal need.
NPA Review Goal 4
Assess the utility of the performance monitoring and reporting arrangements, including the collection of consistent and comparable service data in measuring the progress towards achieving the objective and outcomes of the NPA
- To what extent do the current NPA performance monitoring and reporting requirements appropriately balance the need for accountability versus the need to minimise the bureaucratic burden on administrators and legal assistance service providers?
- To what extent does the National Legal Assistance Data Standards Manual support collection of consistent and comparable data?
- What barriers have impacted implementation of performance monitoring and reporting arrangements?
- What are the opportunities to improve performance monitoring and reporting arrangements?
NPA Review Goal 5
Assess the extent to which the Commonwealth and the states and territories have fulfilled their agreed roles and responsibilities and how the Parties to the NPA and the legal assistance sector have worked together to support a holistic approach to addressing legal need
- To what extent have the roles of both the Commonwealth and states and territories contributed to meeting the objective of the NPA?
- To what extent have the Commonwealth, states and territories and legal assistance sector been effective in working together to address legal need?
- What are the opportunities to improve the roles of both the Commonwealth and the states and territories?
NPA Review Goal 6
Identify areas for improvement and opportunities to enhance current and future arrangements.
- Which elements of the NPA support and/or limit achieving the agreed outcomes and objectives?
- What changes or improvements to the NPA would further improve service delivery and maximise use of resources? Please consider innovative service delivery models and best practice.