Solicitor / Co-ordinator - LGBTI Legal Service
The LGBTI Legal Service Inc is a non-profit community-based legal service that began service on 7 July 2010. The Service strives to assist the Queensland LGBTI community to gain access to justice through the provision of legal and social welfare services. It provides legal advice and information to clients who experience legal problems arising from their identification as LGBTI or because they feel more comfortable in dealing with a solicitor with specific skills, interest and understanding of LGBTI issues. The Service assists with matters in the following practice areas:
- Family law;
- Separations and relationship breakdowns;
- Property settlements;
- Domestic violence;
- Surrogacies and parenting rights;
- Criminal law and victims’ support;
- Employment law, unfair dismissal, workplace bullying and harassment;
- Discrimination law;
- Gender identification and sex changes; and
- Civil law, administrative law, government decisions and Centrelink matters.
The Service also endeavours to provide community legal education activities and resources to increase awareness of the legal rights and responsibilities for members of the LGBTI community in Queensland. The Service includes a Law Reform division, which actively advocates for improvements to the law and human rights. The Service was established by, and continues to be overseen by a voluntary Management Committee of individuals representing the diverse communities under the LGBTI banner. As a non-profit community organisation, the Service relies upon the support of the community and volunteers.
Salary and conditions
- Salary to be negotiated based upon experience.
- The position will cater for either permanent or permanent/part time applicants.
- Flexible work arrangements available, though the applicant is expected to be available on a Wednesday evening for the primary advice session.
- Suited to applicants with experience in the community sector.
- We are an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
To be considered for this role, please provide the following information to the selection panel for assessment of your suitability:
- A covering letter; and
- Your current resume.
Submissions should be made by email to HR@lgbtilegalservice.org by COB on Friday, 30 March 2018. For further information, please telephone (07) 3124 7160