The Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS) provides free legal assistance in immigration and refugee cases to people in need.
1st Floor, Boundary Chambers
170 Boundary Street
WEST END QLD 4101
PO Box 5143
WEST END QLD 4101
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9:30am to 4:30pm
Telephone advice times - Monday to Friday 2:00pm to 4:00pm (outside Brisbane)
Booking Line 07 3846 9333
Walk in times - NOT AVAILABLE
A general legal advice clinic will commence on Friday 4 October 2013 and will provide advice on a range of matters every Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
This is an initiative between Legal Aid Queensland and RAILS with the intent of providing general legal advice to migrants and refugees on legal matters that may affect their daily lives.
The clinic appointments will be made every Thursday from 9:00am onwards via telephoning 3848 9300.
The aim of the service is to assist members of the community, particularly those from non-English speaking backgrounds, in the following ways:
- to provide information about the Australian legal system and law. Solicitors and immigration advisers are available to give free advice and referral on matters relating to immigration law and related general areas of law;
- to advocate on legal matters, particularly immigration and discrimination laws;
- to raise awareness of the public, lawyers, the courts, government officers and police about the difficulties faced by people from non-English speaking backgrounds in dealing with the legal system. Community legal education services are provided. Staff are available to talk on legal topics to community groups;
- to research relevant areas of law;
- to participate in law reform and policy development.
Interpreters can be arranged if requested at least one week in advance. Telephone interpreting is usually available at short notice, but is not appropriate if a client needs help completing documents. RAILS has very limited resources and its casework focus is on immigration work only.