Community Legal Centres Queensland supports Family Matters, Australia’s national campaign to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people grow up safe and cared for in family, community and culture. Family Matters aims to eliminate the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care by 2040.
This statement reflects our intent to work collaboratively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their organisations to achieve the goal of the Family Matters campaign. This commitment requires all signatories to work in accordance with key principles, and to implement corresponding actions. The six core principles of the Family Matters campaign and actions in accordance with each principle are outlined in detail on the following page.
Community Legal Centres Queensland commits to these six core principle and all corresponding actions:
- Applying a child focussed approach
- Ensuring that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and organisations participate in and have control over decisions that affect their children
- Protecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children’s right to live in culture
- Pursuing evidence based responses
- Supporting, healing and strengthening families
- Challenging systemic racism and inequities