Community Legal Centres Queensland believes that environmental protection and social justice are interconnected, a healthy environment being essential to life and its quality.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports
- full disclosure, transparency and meaningful community consultation in the assessment and approval of major developments and major projects;
- clear application of the best available science, principles of ecologically sustainable development and the precautionary principle in all decision-making, policy development and legislation;
- measures to protect biodiversity and natural resources, such as the land and waters, from overuse and degradation;
- greater emphasis on climate change mitigation and adaptation in policy and in the assessment and approval of development and major projects;
- support for remediation and rehabilitation when environmental harm has occurred;
- Genuine access to justice for individuals to advocate in the public interest with respect to the environment; and
- active compliance with Australia’s international environmental treaty obligations.
Listed below are a range of research papers, submissions, news articles and items of interest that provide additional information on this subject area.