Community Legal Centres Queensland believes that all individuals with a mental illness should have access to treatment and should be able to enjoy a meaningful life in which they are able to participate equally in society.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with a Disability and the Principles for the Protection of Persons with Mental Illness and Improvement of Mental Health Care (“the Principles”) and all other human rights instruments applicable to persons with mental illness.
Community Legal Centres Queensland advocates
- increased compliance with human rights obligations which ensure access to the best quality, least aversive treatment and support and the minimal use of involuntary treatment;
- ensuring that potentially injurious or mentally harmful treatments, such as restraint, seclusion and electro-convulsive therapy, are used only as a last resort and then only used with appropriate oversight and approval, with review mechanisms in place;
- access to advice and legal representation and advocacy in all relevant proceedings as required under the Principles;
- appropriate and accountable court and tribunal systems;
- transparent and accountable service delivery for people with a mental illness, as well as an independent complaints investigation body or section of the Health Quality and Complaints Commission, to ensure that any breach of the Mental Health Act 2000 (Qld) is properly addressed in a timely manner;
- Improved access to information for persons with a mental illness regarding their diagnosis, treatment and recovery and supporting independent decision-making.
- that appropriate policies and procedures are in place to ensure the safety for persons with a mental illness within places of detention or treatment;
- Recognition of the cultural, social and economic needs of people with a mental illness.
Listed below are a range of research papers, submissions, news articles and items of interest that provide additional information on this subject area.