Community Legal Centres Queensland believes that children and young people are fully entitled to respect for their human rights.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, on which all decisions regarding persons under the age of 18 years should be based.
Community Legal Centres Queensland advocates
- increased adherence to the fundamental rights and freedoms contained in United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- a youth justice system which responds to young people in a meaningful way, cognisant of their individual context, developmental status and cultural background;
- the reduction of the levels of young people on remand in detention;
- support for young people on youth justice orders;
- a stance against the criminalisation of young people in situations where it is unwarranted and discriminatory;
- That appropriate standards of professional development be met by all persons working with young people in the youth justice system.
Listed below are a range of research papers, submissions, news articles and items of interest that provide additional information on this subject area.