The Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS) provides free legal assistance in immigration and refugee cases to people in need.
Level 1, 170 Boundary Street
WEST END QLD 4101
PO Box 5143
WEST END QLD 4101
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
RAILS is closed on weekends and public holidays.
The service provides legal advice on a wide variety of refugee and immigration matters. Appointments are conducted by phone, face-to-face in their office in West End, or at several other locations via their outreach clinics.
No Walk in appointments.
Appointment bookings must be made over the phone.
Booking line: (07) 3846 9333
Main line: (07) 3846 9300
In partnership with Legal Aid Qld, RAILS offers fortnightly general advice clinics on Family Law for information on matters including divorce, child custody and property settlement. Clinics are conducted every second Friday (during the day) at the RAILS office. Please call (07) 3846 9333 during business hours to book an appointment.
The aim of the service is to assist members of the community, particularly those from non-English speaking backgrounds, in the following ways:
- To provide information about the Australian legal system and law. Solicitors and immigration advisers are available to give free advice and referral on matters relating to immigration law and related general areas of law;
- To advocate on legal matters, particularly immigration and discrimination laws;
- To raise awareness of the public, lawyers, the courts, government officers and police about the difficulties faced by people from non-English speaking backgrounds in dealing with the legal system. Community legal education services are provided. Staff are available to talk on legal topics to community groups;
- To research relevant areas of law;
- To participate in law reform and policy development.
Interpreters can be arranged if requested at least one week in advance. Telephone interpreting is usually available at short notice, but is not appropriate if a client needs help completing documents. RAILS has very limited resources and its casework focus is on immigration work only.