As the bushfire emergency situation continues in parts of Queensland and at emergency levels in New South Wales and Victoria, Queensland Law Society urges practitioners to put safety first. Listen, watch and act, and follow all guidance from State emergency agencies, including Queensland Fire & Emergency Services and Queensland Police.
In the event that your practice is affected by bushfire, there are resources available to aid your recovery:
- Guidance for law practices affected by extreme weather conditions (QLS Ethics & Practice Centre)
- Disaster recovery information (Queensland Government)
- Bushfire insurance guide (Legal Aid)
- Queensland Benevolent Fund (Law Foundation) for those experiencing financial hardship
Additionally, GlobalX is offering free land documentation for bushfire-affected Australians.
As always, LawCare is available. This member benefit provides a range of confidential, personal and professional support. It is easy to access, complimentary and available to all Society members, their staff and their immediate family members. Our LawCare provider, Converge, also has information available for practitioners:
- Bushfire Season - providing customer service to affected people
- Vicarious trauma after a critical incident
There are also a number of excellent resources which QLS members can access from a range of organisations:
- Australian bushfires support resources for you, your clients and communities (Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand)
- Recovery after disaster (Queensland Government)