Community Legal Centres Queensland provides support and advocacy for 34 independent, community-led community legal centres operating across Queensland.
Queensland’s community legal centres provide free information, legal assistance and referral, representation and casework, community education and advocacy for vulnerable clients and communities facing legal problems.
Community Legal Centres Queensland works towards the following objectives:
- Helping community legal centres provide effective high-quality services to their communities
- Helping the network of community legal centres keep informed, united and relevant
- Helping disadvantaged and vulnerable people in the community understand their legal and human rights, access legal help and be heard and respected
Community Legal Centres Queensland is an incorporated association which operates through a small staff team along with the volunteered time and energy of Queensland CLC workers to provide:
- representation for all members in relation to funding program and law reform issues;
- coordination of the state administration of the national professional indemnity insurance scheme;
- member support services including the coordination of an annual state conference, training on relevant issues and regular bulletins about matters of interest to CLC staff, volunteers and management committees;
- encouraging community participation, to make the legal system more equitable and accessible; and
- encouraging community participation in the work and management of community legal centres.
Community Legal Centres Queensland pay our deepest respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional custodians of the land in Australia, and recognise their continuing connection to land, water and culture. We pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.
We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and commit to fostering a culture of learning from and working with First Nations peoples in the spirit of reconciliation and access to justice.