Self-Representation Service in QCAT - Administrative Assistant
The role is to support the operation of the Self Representation Service (including the Duty Lawyer Service) in QCAT, and to provide administrative and other support as required. Duties would involve the following:
- Undertake administrative and practical tasks on QCAT SRS files;
- Assist with incoming telephone calls, emails, and correspondence,and all other office procedures;
- Assist with client contact, appointments and intake;
- Manage client records, including opening and closing files, physical and electronic filing, maintaining client database and casework spreadsheets, and liaise with the LawRight Administrator regarding archiving and statistical reports;
- Maintain resources, databases and online platforms to support staff, volunteer lawyers and clients;
- Assist with QCAT SRS and LawRight reports and publications; and,
- Participate in general activities of LawRight.
The role has the following details: 9am to 5pm, three days per week with an intial fixed term contract until June 30 2020. Continuation beyond this date is subject to LawRight funding and resources. For more information visit this page here.
State Courts Self Representation Service - Paralegal
The role is to assist with the coordination and management of the State Courts Self Representation Service and the Enforcement Hearing Duty Lawyer Service (State Courts SRS) by providing legal and administrative assistance to SRS solicitors. Essential duties and responsibilities would involve the following:
- Undertake general reception and administrative duties including day-to-day management of the State Courts SRS office.
- Assist with answering of telephones, including responding to and managing general enquiries and enquiries from prospective clients, volunteer lawyers and other stakeholders.
- Assist potential clients to complete the LawRight application form if required and provide necessary documents.
- Undertake an initial assessment of the eligibility of applicants for assistance.
- Make appointments for clients and liaise with State Courts SRS solicitors and volunteer solicitors and barristers as necessary to ensure conflict checks are undertaken and all documents and materials are briefed to the solicitors in a timely manner each week.
- Assist to open, maintain and close client files, and maintain the client database, as required.
- Develop and maintain knowledge on the processes and procedures of the jurisdictions in which the State Courts SRS operates, and provide this information to clients and potential clients under the supervision of the State Courts SRS solicitors.
- Assist with legal research and the drafting of correspondence and briefs to volunteer solicitors and barristers as requested.
- Assist State Courts SRS solicitors to manage, operate and otherwise run the Enforcement Hearing Service. This includes attending Magistrates Court enforcement hearings each week and assisting the volunteer duty barrister. Assist State Courts SRS solicitors to organise volunteer support, including liaising with partner law firms and preparing rosters for volunteer solicitors and barristers.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of legal and other resources for the State Courts SRS under the supervision of the State Courts SRS solicitors, including maintaining LawRight’s webpage.
- Assist with the preparation of training, promotional, and law and policy reform materials.
- Participate in the general activities of LawRight and assist with the general running of the LawRight office.
- Undertake other tasks as requested.
For more information and to apply, visit the LawRight website here.
Youth Advocacy Centre
Intensive Family Support Case Manager
We are looking for a highly skilled, motivated and dedicated case manager for our Intensive Family Support service. This service backs families with multiple and/or complex needs at risk of entering the child protection system. In this job, you’ll work with parents, carers and children from the unborn to those aged 18 years. You will:
- Engage families through a case management framework that includes in-home support and mentoring with parents and carers
- Complete strengths and needs assessments, including risk assessments, to identify families’ needs
- Support families to reduce child protection risks
- Undertake flexible home visits, which may be scheduled outside of core business hours.
At YFS, we make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people living in the Logan and surrounding area. And we want our staff to thrive, too. So we offer great opportunities to develop your career. We’re serious about your professional development. Half of our managers have been employed from within. And we empower each other to make decisions and try new ways of working. We know that a happy workplace thrives. We recognise that staff have their own needs, so we encourage you to bring the entire you to work. Depending on your role, we support a number of flexible work arrangements. Also, we offer great employment benefits including above-average pay rates, generous salary packaging (exempt from Fringe Benefits Tax) and counselling support. To find out more about working with us, head to www.yfs.org.au/workwithus. Applications close 22 May 2019.
For more information about the role and to apply, visit this link here.
Solicitor Team Leader (Min 3 Years PAE)
Family Law | Child Protection | Domestic & Family Violence
Mount Isa Location
Looking for a change from your hectic lifestyle? Live and work in Mt Isa.
Mt Isa is a city in the Gulf Country Region, 900km west of Townsville, where the romance of the outback meets the grit of a mining town. It is the birthplace of Greg Norman and Pat Rafter and a great place to raise a family.
QIFVLS is a state-wide Community Legal Practice with offices across 5 regions in Queensland. We are a not-for-profit organisation that provides free legal services, including court and tribunal representation, welfare support, advocacy and community education to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims of family violence and/or sexual assault. Currently we have a vacancy for a Solicitor in our Mount Isa office that services the Gulf and West Queensland Region.
We are looking for a passionate, personable and respectful Solicitor who has at least 3 years PAE. The successful applicant will have a good understanding in the areas of Family Law, Child Protection and Domestic & Family Violence and victims assistance applications. Ideally the successful candidate lives, or wants to live in Mount Isa, or surrounding area and wants to make a difference.
A cultural appreciation/understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people is essential or having worked previously with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients would be advantageous.
Not only will you attend to Court & Tribunal appearances and case files, part of your role will also be to attend outreach and visit the beautiful surroundings of Mt Isa and the Gulf Country whilst making a difference to victims-
- Ensuring that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who are victims/ survivors of family violence and/or sexual assault receive quality legal services, representation and advice
- Working to help clients understand and navigate the relevant legal system, child protection system or victim assistance application process
- Providing legal advice, advocacy and representation in a culturally appropriate manner
- Delivering Community Legal Education sessions
Some of the benefits you will enjoy when working for us are:
Salary + Super + Mobile + Laptop + Vehicle
NFP Salary packaging scheme to increase your take home pay ($15,899 per annum)
- 5 weeks paid annual leave
- Uniforms – Court Attire & Casual
- 4pm Finish on Friday’s
- Employee Assistance Program
- Annual QLS Practicing Certification & Ins costs (including CPD conference)
- Travel to rural and remote Qld with generous travel allowance
- Relaxed office environment
- Relocation costs negotiated with the right applicant
You must be able to participate in regular Regional Court Circuit which includes some overnight travel. A current Open Drivers Licence is mandatory, and you must be eligible to work in Australia.
QIFVLS supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment and encourages applications from qualified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
QIFVLS acknowledges with appreciation that this position is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
For further information, a position description, or to apply to join our dynamic team, apply online or send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, please use the words “Solicitor Mount Isa” in the subject line. Applications close 27 May 2019.
Youth Advocacy Centre
Operations Manager 35 hrs/wk (12 months)
Job posted on: 07 May, 2019.
Applications close: 20 May, 2019.
A great opportunity to join a small community legal and social welfare agency for 10-18 year olds and play your part in helping young people and their families to get their lives back on track!
The Youth Advocacy Centre is a small but well-respected community legal and social welfare agency for 10-18 year olds. YAC is looking for a highly motivated person to take up the new role of operations manager to support organisational growth and sustainability now and into the future.
A full position description is available here.
Environmental Defenders Office (Qld) Inc.
Applications close: 24 May, 2019. Queensland’s leading environmental community legal centre is hiring a new communications officer to assist with day-to-day communications, at our office in West End Brisbane.
We are ideally looking for a candidate with at least 1 - 2 years’ experience in a professional comms setting and/or experience in digital campaigning around environmental or social justice issues.
If you have a genuine interest in making a difference - even if you don’t quite tick all of the boxes - tell us why you are right for the role.
This new position is a 12 month contract, with a salary range of $60,000 to $70,000 negotiable upon experience, plus 9.5% superannuation guarantee.
Key responsibilities may include:
- Assisting the EDO Qld media and communications executive with running the organisation’s broad range of communications channels
- Developing web content showcasing our environmental law reform and litigation work
- Updating our website and CRM
- Assisting in events organising and event-related comms
- Creating content for our social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Writing, formatting and sending emails and bulletins to supporters
- Assisting with development of media releases and strategies
- Skills, values and experience
A full position description can be found here.