Community Legal Centres Queensland believes that domestic and family violence are not acceptable and must be prevented.
Community Legal Centres Queensland supports the United Nations Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women and Article 19 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Community Legal Centres Queensland advocates:
- the recognition that the right of women and children to be free from violence takes priority over the children having a meaningful relationship with each parent;
- robust processes that met international best practice for the review of deaths due to domestic or family violence;
- acknowledgement that people sometimes stay in abusive relationships and the implementation of assistance mechanisms to deal with this reality;
- integrated community responses to domestic and family violence;
- improvement of police, judicial and legislative responses to family violence; and
- Early intervention and prevention approach.
Listed below are a range of research papers, submissions, news articles and items of interest that provide additional information on this subject area.